Blog Archive

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Morning Watch

Ezekiel 3:17 "Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the house of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me".
During my high school years I was privileged to attend "Church Camp". One of the exercises we were given was to attend "Morning Watch" each day. As I recall we were given a little book containing devotions. We were to take our Bibles and devotional book, find a quite spot under a tree or down by the river and spend fifteen minutes "with the Lord". That experience has stayed with me to varying degrees for the last fifty years.

Since then I've come in contact with the words of Francis Thompson 1859-1907, "The Hound of Heaven". To be honest I have only read three quarters of this lengthy poem, the point being, The "Hound of Heaven" pursued me, caught up with me in the early seventies and continues to dog my steps.
Since then the "Morning Watch" has taken on new meaning, ever changing as the years have past. In Old Testament times there were watchmen set on the walls or in watch towers during the night especially, to protect from wild animals or armed enemies. They waited patiently for the dawn so they could relinquish their post. Psalm 130:6 "My soul waits for the Lord more than the watchmen wait for the morning, more than the watchmen wait for the morning".
If I were to admit to having an addiction, it would be my morning coffee, just let me omit it for one day and my body screams, at least my head does. Yet there is another omission that causes another kind of pain. that is the omission of my "Morning Watch", my time with the Lord in prayer and in His Word. It is the food that nourishes my soul and my spirit, it is the fresh manna, it is the my daily bread. Admittedly there have been days and even weeks when "Morning Watch"been omitted but gratefully the "Hound Of Heaven" reminds me of my need. He is always right there waiting. He is waiting for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment